Saturday, April 2, 2011

Orange and Raspberry Cake/Pudding/Yumminess


This is my first slight baking mishap in a good while (new record!). I wanted to make an orange pound cake so I found myself a pound cake recipe from years and years ago in my mums recipe box and set to work. On my hunt through the kitchen for yoghurt I found some raspberries that needed to be used before they were claimed by the grey fuzz lurking threateningly in the corner of the punnett.

So I made up the recipe and folded in the gloriously pink and pretty raspberries, transferred it into the tin and baked for the required time...then a bit more....then even more because the centre was still quite raw and squishy... it has to be because of the raspberries though because mum said the recipe works perfectly otherwise. All was not lost however. We simply served it as pudding with a scoop of vanilla ice cream :D

Anyone have any advice for me on how to stop this happening again? I'm gonna post up the recipe anyway so that anyone who knows how to deal with the devilish little raspberry can make this totally yummy cake/pudding. Or, you can leave it as I did and have it as a gooey, heavily scented, summery pudding


Orange and Raspberry Pound Cake
  • 114g butter, Softened
  •  170g caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 190g flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 oranges, Zested and Juiced
  • 160g Greek Yogurt
  • 1tsp vanilla essence
  • 400-500g raspberries

Preheat oven to 175 C
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 
Stir in eggs and orange zest
In another bowl, combine the flour and baking powder
In a third bowl, combine the orange juice, vanilla essence and yogurt. 
Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture and mix gently (just enough to combine without over-mixing) 
Add the yoghurt juice muxture and stir gently.
Mix in the remaining dry ingredients and gently fold in the raspberries
Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool completely before slicing.

I baked this for around 75 minutes in an effort to make sure it was cooked through and as I already said it still came out quite gooey...the resulting pudding with cream was heaven!

If anyone has any advice about making it work as a cake I'd really appreciate it :)

x

No comments:

Post a Comment