Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pancake Tuesday



I love love love this holiday because it's a chance for my to bring together two of my great sources of happiness; my friends, and cooking :)! I missed out on having a big Pancake party last year (sad face) so I decided I'd make up for it this year by making totally super awesome pancakes :D! 


I was always going to make crepes because in my mind they are pancakes (we Irish don't tend to do the whole fluffy American style ones over here), but for the first time I was faced with the exciting task of making the fluffy type. Ethan (being from the U.S.) wasn't too keen on crepes so I went hunting for recipes. I eventually settled on a cinnamon pancakes recipe because I know how much he loves that spice (I also had some lengthy consultations with him). So yesterday at 3:30 I set about making pancakes for 6 people. I flipped the last one onto an eagerly awaiting plate at 5PM (boy was I sleepy afterwards). Oh, I didn't quit making them because I was out of batter by the way, everyone was just too stuffed! I still have crepe batter left over, which is the reason I haven't included how many this batter makes in the recipe below. It's in my fridge in a milk carton...I really hope no-one makes that mistake when they go for cereal...


Also, what are people's favourite toppings? Lemon and sugar, Nutella and banana and fresh blackberries in that order are my top 3 :)


Crepes

  • 200g plain flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 600 mls milk
  • 2 tbsp melted butter
  • 2 tbsp caster sugar (superfine sugar)
Sift flour into a mixing bowl
Make a well in the centre and add the eggs, butter and half the milk
Gradually mix all the ingredients together and beat well until the batter is smooth
Add the remaining milk
Leave to stand in the fridge for 15-30 mins before cooking

Heat a small pan over a high heat and then reduce to a medium heat
Grease the pan with butter (I use kitchen towel to spread it), you can use oil instead.
Put enough batter into the pan and tilt the pan to spread it evenly into a thin layer
Cook until the top of the pancake is dry (around 1-2 mins), then turn over with a pallet knife/fish slice
and cook the other side.

Cinnamon Pancakes
(Adapted from Sugarlaws)
  • 2 1/2 cups milk 
  • 3 cups flour
  • 4 1/2 tsps baking powder
  • 5 tsps cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 5 tbsp caster (superfine) sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 tbsp butter (melted)
Sieve flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl
Add cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar and combine
Combine butter, eggs and milk in another bowl and add 1/2, mixing well
Add remaining liquid ingredients and combine
Leave to stand for 15-30 mins

Heat medium pan on medium and grease with butter/oil
Add 1 ladel of batter to the pan and cook until bubbles start to form 
on the top of the pancake (approx 1 min)
Flip and cook the other side for approx 1 minute

Serve both with your choice of toppings, applesauce goes amazingly well with the cinnamon pancakes!

Happy Mardi Gras/ Pancake day/ Fat Tuesday

x








3 comments:

  1. I ate 13 of those pancakes.

    6 fluffy, and 7 regular!

    I can attest to their deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) I'm glad you enjoyed them :)

    ReplyDelete