Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Icebox cookies and the 24 hour Juggle-a-thon

Firstly I feel I should apologise for the lack of pictures of the cookies themselves; they were hoovered up in no time, before I had a chance to take any snaps!

So yesterday (and this morning) we held our second annual 24 hour Juggle-a-thon in college to raise money for charity. I should probably explain this a bit better; I'm the current president of the Juggling Society in university and I've been a member of the society for 3 years and will continue to be for as  long as they will let me. Last year I decided we needed to do an event for charity week; and so the 24 hour juggle-a-thon was born!

It kicked off at 12 noon yesterday and we juggled all day and throughout the night, finally finishing at 12 noon today to the strains of the Final Countdown by Europe. We were raising money for M.S. Ireland which is the Multiple Sclerosis charity over here and is a fantastic cause. I'm still not quite done counting the money (there's a lot of small change left) but we've broken the €400 mark!!! It was a great laugh and the people walking by seemed to enjoy the event as much as we did!

Anyway, you're here for a cookie recipe, not to hear me go on and on about juggling (it's a fantastic past time, and I would strongly recommend it to everyone!). I did have a problem in that they were a little cakey because I couldn't find my usual go-to cookie recipe but leaving them in the oven a little longer yielded better results. I will be trying them again with my usual recipe and I'll report back which is better :)


Chocolate and Vanilla Icebox Cookies

(Makes around 30)
  • 200g butter (softened)
  • 185g sugar
  • 1tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 egg
  • 280g flour (divided)
  • 1tsp baking powder (divided)
  • 3 tbsp good quality cocoa powder
  • 40ml milk (divided) (if necessary)
Cream butter and sugar in a bowl until fluffy
Add vanilla and egg and beat well
Divide the mixture into 2 bowls (one for the vanilla dough and one for the chocolate)
Sieve 1/2 of the flour and baking powder into each bowl of the wet ingredients 
Add the cocoa powder to one bowl and mix into a soft dough
Mix the ingredients in the other bowl into a soft dough
Add some or all of the milk if necessary to achieve this consistency (my dough came out a little dry so I had to use all of the milk)

Roll out the dough you want to use on the outside (I picked the chocolate dough) into a rectangle 1cm thick 
Roll the other dough into a sausage shape the same length as the rectangle and place at the edge of the rectangle.
Wrap the chocolate dough around the vanilla dough and seal with your fingers
Slice the resulting log into 2 smaller logs and wrap the logs in cling film, rolling them on a hard surface to remove the uneven seam in the dough

Place in the freezer for 20 mins (hence 'icebox' cookies :P)
While the dough is chilling preheat oven to 180 C and line baking trays with greaseproof paper
Take the dough out of the oven and slice into 1cm thick rounds
Bake for 20-23 mins, until golden, cool and serve.


They're great party cookies because the yield is high and they're the best of both worlds; chocolate and vanilla :D. You can alsomake spirals or Battenberg style checkerboards; give your creativity a whirl and let me know what you come up with :)

                                

No comments:

Post a Comment