Tuesday, May 3, 2011

All Butter Shortbread and a Rather Long Hiatus



So first off, I'm going to apologise for the lack of posts in a while, I'm very sorry about that :( Unfortunately I was in hospital being poked and prodded by Doctors. On a foody hospital note, I don't understand why people complain about it so much, the food is perfectly edible and can actually be quite nice if you choose wisely. Yes, there are more unhealthy options like battered fish and chips and suchlike but there are also loads of healthier options :) Although maybe I'm wrong and Ireland just happens to have good hospital food, what do you guys think? Anyway, enough hospital talk, I'm out and I have a recipe ready to go!


This shortbread recipe is one I inherited from my nana and have used for years. It has been adapted many times to make different flavours and has yet to fail me. It produces a lovely cookie, crunchy but not too crisp when you bite into it and then crumbly and melt in your mouth with a heavenly buttery aroma and a slight sweetness (I'm drooling slightly). There's no vanilla or any other essence added so the buttery flavour shines right through. My mum loves this shortbread so I bake it quite a lot when I'm at home (which isn't really that often unfortunately).


Shortbread
Makes around 30 cookies
  • 220g butter (room temperature)
  • 100g caster/ superfine sugar (granulated will work but the others are preferable)
  • 350g plain flour
  • 1-3 tbsp milk (more if necessary)
Preheat oven to 170 C
Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy
Add flour and mix until the dough has the consistency of breadcrumbs (I always use my hands for this)
Add milk 1tbsp at a time until dough comes together into a ball
Roll dough out to 2-3mm and cut out cookies
Bake for 15 mins, until golden at the edges
Cool on a wire rack

Feel free to add essences and stuff and let me know how they turn out :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment