Sunday, May 15, 2011

Chocolate Fudge Cake


Sorry for the long time between posts, I'm still not 100% and I've been tirelessly preparing for my college finals...(so scared, so very very scared)... I know immediately what you're thinking, yet another chocolate fudge cake to add to the multitude already out there. But before you lose interest this is a really fantastic chocolate cake. It has yet to fail me and always produces a rich, fudgy cake that still somehow feels light when you're eating it (if that's possible). The aroma of the chocolate is rich and thick and the sponge is fudge but still retains a light spring to remind you that you're actually eating a cake, not a giant sandwich brownie!


I typically fill my cake with plain whipped cream, chocolate cream and crushed raspberries or if that's just too much chocolate raspberry cream (I'll stick this one in a post when I can remember/ work out the measurements) :P


This cake is perfect for kids parties because it's simple and relatively quick. Actually it's a good cake for getting the children involved in baking and decorating...if you don't mind the sprinkle and dragée explosion that will be your kitchen afterwards... :P


It's also a good cake for carving as it doesn't crumble under the knife :)


Chocolate Fudge Cake
Makes 1 9" sandwich cake


  • 175g self-raising flour
  • 125g plain chocolate (see Note)
  • 125g butter
  • 200g light brown sugar
  • 1tsp vanilla essence
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tbsp greek yoghurt
Preheat the oven to 190 C
Melt chocolate over a bain marie
Cream butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy
Add vanilla and 1 egg at a time, beating after each addition
Stir in chocolate and yoghurt
Sift in flour and fold in
Divide the mixture into 2 9" sandwich tins 
Bake for 25-30 mins
Cool for 10 mins in the tins then turn out onto a wire rack

*Note: I use 39-70% cocoa chocolate depending on who the cake is for. Like for children I use the lower cocoa chocolate.

Chocolate cream
  • 250 - 500 mls ready whipped fresh cream (depends on how much filling you want)
  • 3-5 heaped tbsp icing sugar
  • 2-3 tsps cocoa powder
Mix all of these ingredients and spread generously over your bottom cake layer, then stick the top cake layer on top and you're done :)




I used plain cream for the one in the picture because my brother requested it  :)


Also, I didn't bake this today, I cheated a little and used one I baked a few months ago before I even had this blog
x

No comments:

Post a Comment