Friday, March 30, 2012

Lemon Curd

Lemon curd really is a thing of summer. It tastes like sunshine in a jar and with the recent heatwave here I just had to make some. It's March and we've been able to comfortably walk around in shorts and t-shirts...in Ireland... That doesn't usually happen until June, if it happens at all. 

My mum loves lemon curd (in fact I'll be bringing her a jar of it when I go to visit tomorrow). If it were up to her I think she'd have it on toast every morning. My nana (her mum) used to make it every year in summer when lemons were in season and this recipe is one that I found in my mum's recipe binder which is about 35 years older than I am!

Lemon Curd
Makes around 2 jars (1.5 cups-ish)
  • grated zest of 2 lemons
  • juice of 4 lemons
  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 135g caster sugar
  • 60g butter (cold, cubed)
Combine zest and juice in a bowl and let it for 15 minutes
Whisk sugar and egg yolks in a medium glass or stainless steel bowl until mix reached the consitency of mayonnaise
Add juice mixture and mix
Heat a little water in a saucepan until gently simmering and place bowl over this saucepan ensuring the base of the bowl does not come in contact with the surface of the water
Cook for around 15 minutes, stirring constantly with a spatula, until it reaches the consistency of thick custard/pudding
Remove from heat and add the butter a little at a time, stirring it until it melts. Cool the curd by placing the bowl in cold water, stirring occasionally to ensure a skin doesn't form.


Enjoy on scones, toast, crusty read, muffins or just eat by the spoonful. I have a plan for half of my batch and I'll post that recipe soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment