Friday, January 21, 2011

Adventures into Home-made Pizza and a Spicy Pizza Sauce Recipe


Exams are over, and a certain someone made it into round 2 of a certain competition!!! So in order to celebrate we decided to do something a bit different and make home made pizza :) Unfortunately, I can't eat regular pizza so I had to modify a regular dough recipe to make it wholewheat. Luckily for me, a certain someone was really understanding about that :). I wasn't sure how it would turn out since the last time I made pizza dough was around 8 years ago and that was regular white dough. As it turns out the recipe still needs tweaking, so unfortunately I won't be posting it up today :( It turned out way too doughey and by the time it had cooked through the cheese was VERY browned. It was also way more puffed up that I expected so I'll have to do some more experimentation but I promise It will be up here ASAP!

After a discussion about toppings we decided to make it a bit of hotch-potch kitchen sink pizza with loads different toppings including home made chicken tikka. So, while Ethan was off testing his entry for the next round of RPGSS I set to work making the dough, sauce and chicken! 

The chicken tikka recipe is a staple of my student diet. It works really well with lemon scented rice or even just plain rice and makes a YUMMY sandwich! It has just the right balance of spices to satisfy my spice craving but feel free to mess with the ratios until you find your perfect balance ^^ (Scroll down for recipe).

I decided to make the pizza sauce slightly spicy to match with the chicken. I think next time I'll go with herbs rather than chilli and make a non spicy pizza and compare the two. I also used tonnes of garlic because I loooooooove garlic! But again, feel free to use as much or as little as possible (Scroll down for recipe)

So after 2 hours and 45 minutes of work (I never expected it to take that long) it was FINALLY time to put the whole thing together and add the yummy toppings :D. I went with home made chicken tikka, pineapple and mushrooms and Ethan chose pepperoni, chicken tikka and pineapple. We piled 'em high and bunged it in the oven and 30 minutes later we had fresh pizza on our plates :). 

Aside from the dough problems the pizza turned out really yummy and we'll definitely be making it again :D!

Chicken Tikka 

(Serves 2)

2 chicken breasts
3 tbsps plain yoghurt (I omitted this for the pizza and made it a dry marinade)
2 tsps tumeric
3 tsps cumin
2 tsps garam masala
1 tsp hot chilli powder
2 tsp coriander leaves
1 tbsp lemon juice

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and add the chicken breasts. 
Toss the chicken to make sure it's coated all over
Marinade for at least 3 hours
Preheat over to 160 degrees C and cook chicken for 25-30 minutes


Pizza Sauce

(Makes enough for 1 12" pizza)

3 cloves of garlic
tin of tomatoes
1/4 - 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
olive oil
2 tbsp tomato puree

Saute the garlic and chilli powder in the oil for 45 seconds
Add the tomatoes and puree and reduce heat to a gentle simmer for 20 mins
Blend until smooth

******************************************

If you already have a tried and tested pizza dough recipe I would DEFINITELY recommend having a co-op pizza night. Gather the girls, the lads, the boyfriend, the girlfriend, the family, whoever you feel like. Get messy making dough, throw flour at eachother, pile the toppings high and have fun with it :)







No comments:

Post a Comment